What is K-State Research and Extension?
Short for the Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service, K-State Research and Extension employs approximately 300 research scientists, 180 faculty specialists and program leaders, 270 county and area specialists, and 400 support staff in 23 departments from 5 different colleges. Personnel are located at the main campus, in 105 county offices, 9 experiment fields, 4 area offices, 3 research centers, and 3 research–extension centers.
Our Mission . . .
"We are dedicated to a safe, sustainable, competitive food and fiber system and to strong, healthy communities, families and youth through integrated research, analysis and education."
Our Vision . . .
K-State Research and Extension is committed to expanding human capacity by delivering educational programs and technical information that result in improved leadership skills in the areas of communication, group dynamics, conflict resolution, issue analysis, and strategic planning that can enhance the economic viability and quality of life in communities.
Our History . . .
1862 The Morrill Act was passed paving the way for a land-grant university in every state.
1863 Bluemont College was renamed the Kansas State Agricultural College.
1887 The Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station was created at Kansas State Agricultural College under the provision of the Hatch Act.
1914 The Smith–Lever Act created the Cooperative Extension Service.
1959 The official university name was changed to Kansas State University of Agriculture and Applied Science.
1996 The Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station and Kansas Cooperative Extension Service merged to form the Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service (K-State Research and Extension).